By Pius Tamanji
Read Online or Download A Sketch Grammar of the Bafut Language PDF
Best linguistics books
For the earlier 40 years, linguistics has been ruled by means of the concept language is express and linguistic competence discrete. It has develop into more and more transparent, despite the fact that, that many degrees of illustration, from phonemes to condemn constitution, express probabilistic houses, as does the language school.
English self-forms and similar phrases from different Germanic languages (e. g. Dutch zelf, Swedish själv, and so forth. ) are utilized in diverse services: as ‘intensifiers’ (e. g. The president himself made the choice) and as markers of reflexivity (John criticized himself). at the foundation of a comparative syntactic and semantic research, this booklet addresses the query of why such it seems that diverse capabilities might be expressed by means of a similar note.
Earlier learn at the Sabellian languages has been dedicated more often than not to the phonetic and morphological positive factors of those languages as parts for the reconstruction of the prehistoric levels of Latin. the current booklet goals at analysing the semantic, syntactic, and pragmatic beneficial properties of a subset of grammatical phrases, the demonstratives.
Each language contains layers of lexical and grammatical components that entered it at varied instances within the kind of far-off prior. therefore, for classes previous our earliest old documentation, linguistic stratigraphy — the systematic learn of such layers — may perhaps yield information regarding the prehistory of a given culture of talking in quite a few methods.
- Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics (6th Edition) (The Language Library)
- Practical English Grammar
- Coordination Models and Languages: 11th International Conference, COORDINATION 2009, Lisbon, Portugal, June 9-12, 2009, Proceedings (Lecture Notes in ... Programming and Software Engineering)
- Dagur Mongolian Grammar, Texts, and Lexicon
Additional info for A Sketch Grammar of the Bafut Language
K"&yÓy' µPXVKURRPV¶ . µDQWV¶ n. k"(-m' µVKRRWV RI o. k-lÂ1 SDOPV¶ p. &`b' µFOLIIV¶ µKHDUWV¶ q. im' µQHFNV¶ r. y1' s. k"1#`)m' µJXQV¶ t. k-s`¶b "song(s)" "bed(s)" "name(s)" "night(s)" µODGGHUV¶ "mouth(s)" µIDUPV¶ µEXG\RXQJ VKRRWV¶ "tail(s)" "rope(s)" (iii) Gender 5/6 (body parts and assorted nouns) (25) a. /k"+0³·%Ü"+0³·' µDUPV¶ b. k"(0Ñ' µQRVHV¶ c. ¯Ó¯' µKLSV¶ d. e. f. g. h. i. j. k-¦dÓd' µWRRWKWHHWK¶ µOHJV¶ µQDYHOV¶ µFKHVWV¶ µZLQJV¶ µEXWWRFNV¶ µMDZV¶ k.
1. Derivation Derived nominals in Bafut may be classified into five types based on the type of derivational prefix and on the categorial status of the root involved. These classes of derived nouns are: deverbatives, agentive nouns, augmentatives, diminutives and negative nominals. 1. Deverbatives As the name suggests, deverbatives are nouns formed from verb stems. The derivation here involves prefixing an ordinary noun class prefix to the verb root and a corresponding modification of the tone pattern of the verb stem.
C. d. e. f. " (ii) Transitive verb roots a. %d`$)k& N-cook beans "(the act/manner of) cooking beans" b. +`$ N-build house "(the act/manner of) building houses/house building" from c. " d. Ü-lÆ1 mk-l¯¶¯ "the act/manner of) tapping palm wine/palm wine tapping" from %Â1Ä$ ³WDSpalm ZLQH´ (iii) Personal nouns a. b. c. d. " ³VODXJKWHU´ The derived nominals presented in these examples in (8) pattern in two noun classes. The examples in (8) (i) and (ii) belong in class 9 while those in (iii) belong in class 1, the normal class for humans and names of different professions/trades.
A Sketch Grammar of the Bafut Language by Pius Tamanji